Monday, April 22, 2013

Rain



I yawned as I watched the rain run down the side of the window. I glanced at the clock as the raindrop I was staring at fell with a silent plop onto the pavement. 9:30 PM. I was supposed to meet my friends boyfriends buddy tonight for a date, that was arranged against my will, an hour ago. I laughed, I never would have agreed if she hadn’t played that “oh come on you just HAVE to meet this guy!” card and then she’d point out his “great qualities” and conveniently forget to mention he has a ‘bat cave’ in his mother’s basement, and really just is only friends with her boyfriend because he found him on Facebook. I rolled my eyes and glanced around the bookstore, there were a few costumers lingering around, but I don’t mind. When I don’t have anything else to do that day I let them hang out late. I know what it’s like to be kicked out before you find that perfect book.. It was about ten-ish when I started to get bored, so I started staring at this one guy who was taking forever to choose a book. As I stared I started noticing his hair was really wet, so were his sneakers and jacket. He must of just come in. I should ask him if could help him with something. No one else could. Just me. I was suddenly looking in a pair of stunning blue eyes, a perfect pair of lips were saying something to me. Oh God. He was talking to me. And I was staring! I snapped back to reality in time to hear him say “and I think she would enjoy it as much as I did so,” he put a copy of ‘The glass castle’ on the counter and said “how much?” I reached out my hand and pulled the book towards me. My mind was racing, who’s “she?” and why would he be buying her books? Oh god I’ve been obsessing over a guy who has a girlfriend! OK calm down Deb, your panicking again. I smoothly glanced at the till and said “twelve sixty five, please.”  As he dug around for his wallet I added quickly, “what other books does she like?” he shrugged, still looking for his wallet “I’m not sure, she’s always trying to get me to read these romance novels she’s writing but other than that I’m not sure. Why?” I racked my brain and without thinking said “we like to know what our costumers like, so um, we can give recommendations for books! Yeah.” The ‘yeah’ was probably unnecessary but I had to say something! He found his wallet and held out his credit card and said “well I guess that sounds reasonable.”  I was watching him and for a second we just stared at each other and then he sort of did this hypnotism thing with his card and I snapped again “here you go.” I said as I swiped his card and handed it back. And then he was gone, walking out the door, never to be seen again. No! I had not just spent half an hour obsessing just for him to walk away! I grabbed the receipt and raced out into the rain and said “Hey! You forgot your…” he was gone, lost to the unrelenting winds and rains….

1 comment:

  1. .... and ANOTHER good story Jess :) (Would love to hear from you...!!!) Garry xx

    ReplyDelete