Friday, January 16, 2015

Sticker Problem.

Sticker Problem.
(530 words)
___________________________________________________________________________________

I sat in the parking lot, the rain escalating from a light drizzle, watching the Crafty Crow store as raindrops raced down the windshield. "Okay Rachel, you can do this. You just need glue. All you need is glue. You do not need stickers. Okay. Here you go." I said to myself. I grabbed my bright pink umbrella and pushed open my door, and knocked  it right into the giant white SUV that had just pulled into that parking spot. "OH! Oh God, Sorry!" I called to the angry looking woman in the drivers seat. There was no mark but I still walked a little faster into the store, calmed by the familiar smell of paints and clay that hung over the aisles. I walked calmly past the the little 99 cent books of stickers they put out just to get me to crack! Okay, I'm calm.  I focused on  I the sound of 'Sugar Sugar' playing over the radio, trying to distinguish if it was the Beatles or The Archies singing on this particular record. I found the aisle with the glue,and right there were these beautiful stickers with cats on them and, oh there are doggies too! I bit back a squeal as I looked at the price. "TWO FOR A DOLLAR!?" I practically yelled with joy"You know what? Just a couple wont hurt....."
As I was standing in line to pay for my six pages of stickers for the price of three. I was so elated that I even bought a box of glow in the dark stars to put on my bedroom ceiling. I mean whats the point of having them on the ceiling of the living room and dining room and the bathroom when you have none in your room? I giggled to myself as I walked out of the store and skipped through the rain to my yellow Volkswagen bug. It started raining harder as I pulled out of the lot.
I pulled into the parking spot outside my building and looked over at the shopping bags on my passenger seat and felt a short pang of guilt. It was short and painful but then I thought about how lovely those stickers would look on my wall. I smiled and scooped up the bags and brought them inside.
When I unlocked the door and stepped over the threshold, there was already some one there..
I screamed. My bags fell to the floor as my eyes tried to comprehend the broken glass on the floor and the shattered window and the man standing in the middle of my room frozen, looking around the room with a glassy eyed stare. His eyes shifted to mine, and he said in a dry shocked voice. "Lady, you have a problem."
So we ended up talking, i realized that my walls and my ceiling and every one of my household appliances  being covered in stickers was not healthy. I told the man, whose name I found to be Joe, that I didn't know why I was so obsessed with them. He was a really good listener, I mean he tried to jump out the window  every once and a while...
__________________________________________________________________________________

-Jessica Baker-

No comments:

Post a Comment